By Jennifer B. Ganz
Just as autism is a continuum of issues, it's linked to a vast diversity of neurodevelopmental, social, and conversation deficits. for people with autism spectrum problems (ASD), augmentative and replacement conversation (AAC) has an immense influence on their day-by-day lives, frequently decreasing the prevalence of difficult behaviors.
Aided Augmentative conversation for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders is a pragmatic consultant to the sector, supplying readers an outstanding grounding in ASD, comparable advanced verbal exchange wishes (CCN), and AAC, particularly visible and computer-based applied sciences. established interventions and instruments in AAC are reviewed—not simply how they paintings, yet why they work—to reduction practitioners in picking out these such a lot fitted to person consumers or scholars. concerns in overview for aided AAC and debates referring to its usability around out the assurance. Readers come away with a deeper realizing of the centrality of communique for consumers with ASD and the various probabilities for intervention.
Key parts of assurance include:
- AAC and evaluate of individuals with ASD and CCN.
- Interdisciplinary concerns and collaboration in evaluate and treatment.
- AAC intervention mediated by means of average verbal exchange partners.
- Functional communique education with AAC.
- The controversy surrounding facilitated communication.
- Sign language as opposed to AAC.
Aided Augmentative verbal exchange for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders is a vital source for clinicians/practitioners, researchers, and graduate scholars in such fields as baby and faculty psychology, speech pathology, language schooling, developmental psychology, habit treatment, and academic technology.
Read or Download Aided Augmentative Communication for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders PDF
Best developmental psychology books
CliffsQuickReview path publications conceal the necessities of your hardest matters. Get an organization grip on center innovations and key fabric, and try out your newfound wisdom with evaluate questions. no matter if you would like a path complement, aid getting ready for an examination, or a concise reference for the topic, CliffsQuickReview Developmental Psychology may help.
Jean Piaget (1896–1980) was once indexed one of the a hundred most crucial people within the 20th century by means of Time journal, and his paintings - with its precise account of human improvement - has had an important effect on a variety of disciplines from philosophy to schooling, and significantly in developmental psychology.
Whilst developmental psychologists set forth the speculation that the roots of grownup psychopathology may be traced to early life adventure and behaviour, the assumption fast took carry. therefore, as major examine during this sector complicated in past times decade, extra subtle thought, extra exact examine methodologies, and greater replication of empirical findings were the outcome.
Developmental theorists have lengthy speculated that emotion and cognition are inseparable parts of the developmental method. a few even recommend that the 2 elements are totally built-in by means of tuition age. but, regardless of massive theoretical paintings describing this interplay, quite little empirical paintings has been carried out at the topic.
- Child Psychology in Retrospect and Prospect: in Celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the institute of Child Development (Minnesota Symposia on Child Psychology)
- Life-Span Development, 13th Edition
- Adolescent Vulnerabilities and Opportunities: Developmental and Constructivist Perspectives
- Keeping Mozart in mind
- Introduction to Play Therapy
Extra resources for Aided Augmentative Communication for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders
2005). Supporting self-determination in AAC interventions by assessing preferences for communication devices. Technology and Disability, 17, 143–153. Simpson, R. , & Ganz, J. B. (2012). The Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS). In P. Prelock & R. ), Treatment of autism spectrum disorders: Evidence-based intervention strategies for communication & social interaction (pp. 255–280). Baltimore: Paul H Brookes Publishing. Skinner, B. F. (1957). Verbal behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
003. , O’Reilly, M. , Lancioni, G. , & Sigafoos, J. (2012). A further comparison of manual signing, picture exchange, and speech-generating devices as communication modes for children with autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 6, 1247–1257. Walker, V. , & Snell, M. E. (2013). Effects of augmentative and alternative communication on challenging behavior: A meta-analysis. Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 29, 117–131. 785020. Wilkinson, K. , & Hennig, S. (2007).
2012; Son et al. 2006). 7 provide examples of a range of low- to high-tech AAC systems. As mobile devices have become ubiquitous in the USA (Gal et al. 2009), there has been an upsurge in studies incorporating the use of applications on table computers and smartphones for use as SGDs (Flores et al. 2012; Kagohara et al. 2013; van der Meer et al. 2012). There are numerous advantages to software and applications for mobile technologies compared to traditional SGDs that are often large and heavy, particularly considering that people with ASD, unlike people with physical 18 2 Aided Augmentative and Alternative Communication: An Overview Fig.